Mobile Computing | News
Barracuda Launches Free Cloud-Based MDM for K-12
Barracuda Networks has launched
Barracuda Mobile Device Manager (MDM), a free cloud-based iOS device and
application management service for Barracuda customers.
According to the company, Barracuda MDM helps K-12 schools provide
centralized administration and monitoring of iOS mobile devices. It's accessible
through the Barracuda Cloud Control portal and integrates with security and
storage solutions from the company.
Barracuda Mobile Device Companion app is also available from the Apple
Store. The app works with Barracuda MDM and can be used to enroll devices. "Once
enrolled, the devices can be centrally configured with security settings and
restrictions, remotely monitored and tracked if allowed as well as locked or
wiped in case of theft or loss," according to the company.
Stephen Pao, general manager of security for Barracuda, sees the solution as a "natural
progression" for the company, "providing a simple, easy-to-use and affordable
way for customers to extend their content and network security policies right
down to their mobile users," he said in a prepared statement.
Key features of Barracuda MDM include:
- Configuration of secure mobile device authentication;
- Configuration of LDAP or Active Directory for user authentication;
- Passcode restrictions and boundaries configuration;
- Ability to push applications out to devices through the Apple Volume
- Device deployment, management and troubleshooting through the Apple
Device Enrollment Program;
- Dashboard for viewing subscription, device enrollment and system
- Access to device details, including installed applications and device
activity by user; and
- Ability to view queued actions and a log of all activities initiated by
any user in the service.
Further information about Barracuda Mobile Device Manager can be found on the
Leila Meyer is a technology writer based in British Columbia. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.