K-12 Technology News
Here you'll find the latest news from the education technology world, from the newest hardware and software releases to policy and funding updates to research reports to school and district tech initiatives. Looking for more in-depth coverage of important topics? Be sure to visit our Features page.
HP is wading into the low-cost education tablet market with the introduction of several new devices specifically designed to stand up to K-12 student usage. At the same time the company has introduced new training for teachers who want to learn more about the PISA international assessment.
- By Dian Schaffhauser
The nonprofit Curriki has just released a new collection of calculus materials for students, parents and teachers.
OpenEd has launched OpenEd Homework, an online tool designed to help teachers assign, review and grade homework.
Amazon has launched a new segment of Kindle Direct Publishing, KDP EDU, targeted at educators and authors of textbooks and other educational content.
The company says its new PowerLite projector series will be more affordable for teachers.
The University of Waterloo and Maplesoft will offer free online courses for high school students in precalculus and calculus.
3D Printer provider NVBots has launched NV Library, a collection of lesson plans that include 3D printing.
Lightspeed Systems' classroom management tool, introduced in November, can be used on more devices now.
In districts that have adopted the Common Core State Standards, 95.7 percent of schools have already implemented the standards or are in the process of doing so, while the remaining 4.3 percent are still in the planning stage, according to a new survey of public school principals. However, only 53.6 percent report that they have sufficient bandwidth to conduct online assessments.
Are games really a waste of time? For Jane McGonigal, the first person to earn a Ph.D. in the study of the effects of gaming, they're a crucial part of what makes us human — a crucial part that doesn't get the attention it deserves.
- By Patrick Peterson