Smart Tech Kicks Off Showcase School Program
4/16/2007—Smart Technologies has launched a new K-12 program that spotlights schools using classroom technologies in innovative ways. Dubbed the "Smart Showcase School Program" (SSSP) it launched this month with an initial roster of 22 schools and one district in the United States and Canada.
According to Smart, SSSP schools are "leaders in the adoption and use of technology that improves student outcomes and teacher effectiveness." Showcase schools make themselves available to educators from other schools interested in seeing how their classroom technologies affect students and enhance lessons and demonstrate how to apply best practices "for using technology products to improve student performance."
"Students love interacting with the Smart Board interactive whiteboard and are motivated to work on all skills, even those that would otherwise be boring for them, and the teachers feel that the technology has revolutionized their teaching," says Lilli Land, principal at Auburn Early Education Center, one of the schools chosen for the program. "Many educators have visited our school to look at our curriculum, and we leave them with a desire to implement Smart Board interactive whiteboards into their classroom instruction."
Smart Showcase Schools presently include:
- Alton C. Crews Middle School (Lawrenceville, GA)
- Auburn Early Education Center (Auburn, AL)
- Chisholm Middle School (Newton, KS)
- Cresthill Middle School (Highlands Ranch, CO)
- Don Pedro Albizu Campos / PS 161 (New York, NY)
- Forest Lake Elementary (Columbia, SC)
- Fullerton IV Elementary (Roseburg, OR)
- George Washington Elementary School (Kingsport, TN)
- Kellogg Middle School (Shoreline, WA)
- KIPP Gaston College Prep (Gaston, NC)
- Lee Elementary School of Technology (Tampa, FL)
- Lincoln Academy (Lakeland, FL)
- Lincoln Elementary School (Spencer, IA)
- Northwest High School (Justin, TX)
- Passages Charter School (Chicago, IL)
- Phelps Elementary School (Phelps, KY)
- Rocky River High School (Rocky River, OH)
- Roxbury Preparatory Charter School (Roxbury, MA)
- Stephen Decatur High School (Berlin, MD)
- St. Gabriel the Archangel School (Louisville, KY)
- The Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf (Pittsburg, PA)
- Worcester Technical High School (Worcester, MA)
In addition, School District 16 (Miramichi, NB, Canada) has been selected as a Smart Showcase district.
Participation in the program is by invitation only. SSSP operates now in the United States and Canada, though the company said it's planning to expand to other parts of the world as well.
:: READ MORE DAILY NEWS ::
About the author: Dave Nagel is the executive editor for 1105 Media's educational technology online publications and electronic newsletters. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have any additional questions? Want to share your story? Want to pass along a news tip? Contact Dave Nagel, executive editor, at email@example.com.
Executive Producer David Nagel heads up the editorial department for 1105 Media's education publications — which include two daily sites, a variety of newsletters and two monthly digital magazines covering technology in both K-12 and higher education.
A 21-year publishing veteran, Nagel has led or contributed to dozens of technology, art and business publications.
He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also connect with him on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10390192 or follow him on Twitter at @THEJournalDave (K-12) or @CampusTechDave (higher education). A selection of David Nagel's articles can be found on this site.