Associations | News
Healey Takes Helm at ASCD
ASCD (formerly the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development) has named Paul Healey as its new president. He took office late last month.
ASCD is a group focused on leadership and professional development activities in education, such as its ongoing efforts to make Common Core State Standards accessible to teachers and administrators.
Healey is superintendent of Pennsylvania's rural Bermudian Springs School District, which serves students in three schools covering a 75-square-mile area. He holds a doctorate in curriculum and instruction from Pennsylvania State University and is, according to information released by the association, the first ASCD president to have come from Pennsylvania.
"Learn. Teach. Lead. ASCD's tagline captures what the organization has been about for more than 65 years," Healey said in a prepared statement released by ASCD this week. "During my tenure as President, my goal is to ensure that our programs, products, services, and communities continue to provide relevant, timely, and high-quality resources to meet the demands of an ever-changing world."
ASCD also announced new board members, including:
- Larry Cartner, superintendent, Person County Schools, Roxboro, NC;
- Marc Cohen, principal, Seneca Valley High School, Germantown, MD;
- Judith Golden, superintendent, East Hampton Public Schools, East Hampton, CT;
- Joseph Goodnack, superintendent, North Hills School District, Pittsburgh;
- Mary Kay Kirkland, associate superintendent, Box Elder School District, Brigham City, UT; and
- Pasi Sahlberg, director general of the Finnish Center for International Mobility and Cooperation.
Further information about ASCD can be found here.
Executive Producer David Nagel heads up the editorial department for 1105 Media's education publications — which include two daily sites, a variety of newsletters and two monthly digital magazines covering technology in both K-12 and higher education.
A 21-year publishing veteran, Nagel has led or contributed to dozens of technology, art and business publications.
He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also connect with him on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10390192 or follow him on Twitter at @THEJournalDave (K-12) or @CampusTechDave (higher education). A selection of David Nagel's articles can be found on this site.