AV & Presentation | News
Sony Debuts New Projectors for Classrooms
This week at InfoComm 2012 in Las Vegas, Sony is highlighting the VPL-E200 series, its newest projector family for classroom use. These new models deliver a range of brightness options from 2,600 lumens up to 3,700 lumens, both in XGA and WXGA format.
The E200 series features a new fine-tuned cooling system that reduces clouding of the bulb, designed to extend lamp life up to approximately 7,000 hours (depending on the lamp mode selected). Additionally, the new models adopt Sony’s auto lamp dimming function, where the projector intelligently detects if it is left powered on with a static signal being fed. When a static signal is detected, the lamp can be dimmed as low as 30 percent of original brightness after certain time intervals set by the user.
The new projectors have an Auto Mode (Auto Brightness Adjustment Function), where the brightness of the lamp’s output is automatically adjusted depending on the brightness of the projected image, to avoid unnecessary power consumption. For example, when showing darker images that don’t require high brightness, the lamp output will decrease.
A synchronized lamp and filter maintenance timing feature (where the filter will last as long as the lamp) means lamp replacement and filter cleaning can be performed quickly, easily and at the same time.
The projectors’ 1.6x flexible standard zoom lens and variety of inputs allows the projector to fit a broad range of applications (the VPL-EX225 and VPL-EW225 are 1.3x zoom). Other features include:
- 16W speaker
- A variety of interfaces (2xRGB, HDMI, S-Video, RS-232C, RJ-45, microphone inputs)
- Remote control of multiple projectors via LAN
- Users can project images wirelessly (an optional wireless USB dongle is required). Wireless image transmission works with Windows computers using proprietary software.
- A USB Media Viewer allows users to directly project image files stored on a USB memory device.
- Six picture modes (dynamic, standard, game, blackboard, cinema and presentation)
- 12-bit 3D Gamma Correction
- Security locks (password and mechanical), a security bar, and panel key lock
- Off and Go feature, allowing the projector to be removed immediately after use
The new models in the VPL-E200 series are all planned to be available later this summer. The VPL-E200 series will include:
- VPL-EW275 (WXGA; 3,700 lumens)
- VPL-EW245 (WXGA; 3,100 lumens)
- VPL-EW225 (WXGA; 2,600 lumens)
- VPL-EX275 (XGA; 3,700 lumens)
- VPL-EX245 (XGA; 3,200 lumens)
- VPL-EX225 (XGA; 2,700 lumens)
About the author: Rhea Kelly is senior editor for Campus Technology. She can be reached at email@example.com.