Classroom Management | News
NetSupport School Extends Windows 8, Chrome OS Management Tools
NetSupport has released version 11.2 of its flagship classroom management system, NetSupport School.
The new version incorporates enhancements to both Microsoft Windows 8 and Google Chrome OS installations.
For Windows 8, NetSupport School includes several tweaks to add support for the Metro environment. These include:
- The ability to control and interact with student machines when the students are int he Metro screen;
- The ability to quick launch Windows 8 apps on students' machines;
- Support for monitoring Internet Explorer when the student is using it in the Metro environment; and
- The addition of Internet Explorer Metro app management capabilities, including support for block and approve URL lists and "safe" search mode.
- Added support for Windows 8 application use policies to the NetSupport School Technician's Console.
Version 11.2 also includes Windows 8 support for the network deployment tool.
For Google Chrome OS running on Chromebooks, version 11.2 adds support for:
- Direct interaction with/control over students' machines;
- Screen sharing;
- Messaging; and
- Student attendance recording.
Finally, version 11.2 also adds enhancements designed to improve performance in environments with unreliable wireless networks.
NetSupport School 11.2 is available now. A free trial version is also available. Additional details can be found on NetSupport's site.
Executive Producer David Nagel heads up the editorial department for 1105 Media's education publications — which include two daily sites, a variety of newsletters and two monthly digital magazines covering technology in both K-12 and higher education.
A 21-year publishing veteran, Nagel has led or contributed to dozens of technology, art and business publications.
He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also connect with him on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10390192 or follow him on Twitter at @THEJournalDave (K-12) or @CampusTechDave (higher education). A selection of David Nagel's articles can be found on this site.