Professional Development | News
ASCD Launches Common Core Training Institutes
ASCD is kicking off a new series of Common Core training for educators beginning in November.
The Common Core State Standards Institutes will provide one- or two-day in-person workshops for classroom teachers, school leaders, curriculum designers, and others. Topics to be covered include:
- Lead the Change to Common Core State Standards: Get Essential Tools for School and District Leaders (two days);
- Common Core and the Understanding by Design Framework: Planning Units with the End in Mind (two days);
- Using Formative Assessments to Meet the Demands of the Common Core (one-day);
- Implementing the Common Core State Standards: English Language Arts and Literacy Focus (one day); and
- Implementing the Common Core State Standards: Mathematics Focus (one day).
"These new ASCD institutes on the Common Core State Standards will introduce educators to strategies and plans for determining Common Core readiness," said ASCD Executive Director and CEO Gene R. Carter in a prepared statement. "We created these institutes to equip educators with the tools they need to succeed for a smooth, successful implementation of the new curriculum."
Institutes will be held in different cities around the country from mid-November to early February, including locations in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Nevada, and Tennessee. They will be led by ASCD faculty members Jennifer Beasley, Judy Carr, Nicole Clifton, Opal Davis, Donnell Gregory, Janie Smith, Tim Westerberg, and Allison Zmuda.
Complete details can be found on ASCD's Common Core portal.
Executive Producer David Nagel heads up the editorial department for 1105 Media's education publications — which include two daily sites, a variety of newsletters and two monthly digital magazines covering technology in both K-12 and higher education.
A 21-year publishing veteran, Nagel has led or contributed to dozens of technology, art and business publications.
He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also connect with him on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10390192 or follow him on Twitter at @THEJournalDave (K-12) or @CampusTechDave (higher education). A selection of David Nagel's articles can be found on this site.