Zimbra Brings Collaboration Suite to the Clouds for Education Institutions
Zimbra has launched a new edition of its Zimbra Collaboration Suite specifically for education institutions, a completely cloud-based solution called Zimbra Hosted for Education.
According to Zimbra, which is owned by Yahoo, its Collaboration Suite is already in use by about 500 academic institutions, and this new Zimbra Hosted for Education option is designed to provide greater flexibility for those institutions in how they deploy the suite of communications, productivity, and collaboration tools. (The on-premises option is still available, as is the option to have Zimbra hosted by a third-party provider.)
Some of the features of the hosted version include, among others:
- Built-in disaster recovery features;
- 99.9 percent "guaranteed uptime";
- Features that allow institutions to customize the look and feel of the suite, including controls over colors and logos appearing on pages;
- Support for Outlook and Apple synchronization;
- Mobile access via iPhone, J2ME devices, and mobile Web browsers;
- A group scheduling calendar with RSS and Atom support; and
- Offline access through the free Zimbra Desktop for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux.
Zimbra Hosted for Education is available now. Pricing varies. Further information can be found here. A trial account can be set up here.
Executive Producer David Nagel heads up the editorial department for 1105 Media's education publications — which include two daily sites, a variety of newsletters and two monthly digital magazines covering technology in both K-12 and higher education.
A 21-year publishing veteran, Nagel has led or contributed to dozens of technology, art and business publications.
He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also connect with him on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10390192 or follow him on Twitter at @THEJournalDave (K-12) or @CampusTechDave (higher education). A selection of David Nagel's articles can be found on this site.