ProQuest Unveils New Online Library Catalog Enrichment Service
ProQuest, in partnership with LibraryThing, has debuted Syndetics Unbound,
a new online service designed to provide libraries and their patrons
with dynamic information and interactive, guided discovery through the
Syndetics Unbound combines two of ProQuest's online library catalog enrichment products: ProQuest Syndetic Solutions and the LibraryThing for Libraries system. According to the company, the subscription-based service is
designed to help libraries "transform the traditional online catalog
into a dynamic, attractive showcase" and provide patrons with "a
modern, convenient experience that includes expansive coverage of
global books and media."
Librarians can use the system
out-of-the-box with no customization, according to ProQuest. The
administration tool offers element configuration and holdings
management, as well as coverage and usage reports.
Syndetics Unbound, library patrons can access the online catalog from
their smartphone or tablet with the help of the tool's mobile-optimized
user interface. They can also tap into LibraryThing for Libraries'
reader tools to rate, share and review books.
Some of the "enrichment elements" included in the Syndetics Unbound subscription service include:
- Premium cover service with auto-generation;
- Book summary;
- Author biography and photo;
- Look Inside feature that offers a preview of first chapters, book excerpts and table of contents for millions of titles;
- Series feature that displays titles in a book series in the proper reading order;
- Book recommendations from the library's catalog;
- Professional book reviews from publishers such as School Library Journal, The New York Times, The Horn Book, Publishers Weekly and others;
- Reader reviews and ratings. and
- Information for patrons about other available formats and versions of a title, including paper, audio, e-book and translations.
Further information about Syndetics Unbound can be found on ProQuest's site.
Leila Meyer is a technology writer based in British Columbia. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.