Learning Apps and Tools
SMART Adds Workspaces to Learning Suite, Intros Remote Management
- By Dian Schaffhauser
Ed tech company SMART Technologies has released enhancements to its online learning suite and debuted a new remote management service that facilitates central management of student and teacher devices.
Among the updates to the SMART Learning Suite Online software is a new "workspace" activity that creates a shared digital space where groups of students can collaborate. According to the company, the workspace activities are integrated into the lesson, consolidating log-ins and simplifying classroom flows by easing the switching among devices, applications and lessons. The new feature provides an easy way for teachers to create and manage their collaborative activities, the company said. The software works in both Google and Microsoft schools
SMART Remote Management is a cloud-based solution that allows central management of iOS, Android, Chrome OS and Windows devices as well as SMART's own interactive displays. According to the company, the functionality includes the abilities to:
- Centrally manage apps, device and operating system settings and apply usage policies (either manually or triggered);
- Streamline software distribution and operating system updates for the entire device "fleet";
- Provide remote assistance;
- Set SMART Board with iQ panels into power standby at a certain time every day;
- Report whether specific iQ panels were turned off;
- Produce device usage reports;
- Create geofences and location perimeters;
- Track device location and lock lost or stolen devices;
- Specify a time for all iQ panels to be patched with software updates; and
- Place iQ panels into a hierarchy or groups, such as by department.
Although pricing hasn't been set yet, the remote management solution will be sold as a subscription service. Availability is expected to begin at the end of August.
Dian Schaffhauser is a senior contributing editor for 1105 Media's education publications THE Journal and Campus Technology. She can be reached at email@example.com or on Twitter @schaffhauser.