Cover Story — Solving the PD Puzzle
The internet holds great promise for facilitating flexible, ongoing, and collaborative professional development. For many, however, it's a promise that's gone largely unfulfilled. Our panel of ed tech thought leaders discuss why online PD has yet to take off everywhere—and we feature case studies of districts where it has.
Compatible With: Safari, Internet Explorer, Chrome
and Apple iPad:
- Our Space: Editorial director Therese Mageau says, "Don't talk to me about data."
- Here & Now: We feature the three winners, chosen at FETC 2013, of Next Vista for Learning's Mountains of Creativity video contest, which challenged students and teachers to cover a topic in 90 seconds.
- Innovator: English teacher Terri L. Simpson uses technology to inspire storytelling.
- Product Roundup
- About Us/Index
March 2013 | vol. 40 no. 3
- Choosing a Cloud
- As districts around the country move from locally hosted software to online productivity tools, we examine how they made their choice, how they encouraged buy-in, how they trained teachers, and what comes next.
- Save our Servers
- Superstorm Sandy devastated data centers around the Northeast. In the wake of the storm, some schools are recovering, and others are taking a serious look at what they need to do to keep their precious data safe from disasters, both natural and otherwise.
- In the debut of his new column, Keith Krueger, executive director of CoSN, gives CTOs some tips on how to forge a powerful alliance with their CFOs.
- Hands-on Experience
- Part 3 of our series about collaborative technologies examines how teachers can make "interactive" projectors, clickers, and whiteboards truly interactive.
- Distinguish Yourself
- Apple Distinguished Educator. Google Certified Teacher. STAR Discovery Educator. These days it seems like most of the big names in education have their own special awards for education, but what do they mean and how do you win? We speak with past winners, application reviewers, and the companies themselves to find out everything educators should know before applying.
- Expert Perspective
- Sanjeev Ahuja, Vice President of K-12 for Blackboard Inc, writes about how mobile learning tools have transformed students into active learners.
An app is in currently in development for Android tablets/phones.
A free THE Journal login is required to view the digital editions. Please sign in or create a new account using the panel below. THE Digital Edition requires Adobe's Flash player to view.
Please log in to proceed.
Returning Users: Enter your email / password to proceed.
New users: enter your email and select new member. You will need to fill in a short registration form, after which the item will be accessible to you.
Registration is free and shared across most 1105 Media sites.