Fireware XTM To Extend UTM Appliance Security
WatchGuard Technologies has introduced Fireware XTM, its new operating system for unified threat management (UTM) firewall appliances. The latest release includes a variety of security enhancements and improvements to networking and management and is expected to be available in early June.
The new Fireware XTM is designed for WatchGuard e-Series Edge, Core, and Peak appliances. It offers full HTTPS inspection using proxy technology that "intercepts, scans, and rebuilds HTTPS data streams" to allow administrators to audit files received. It also adds application-level security for SIP and H.323 protocols to combat VoIP threats and botnet protection through the inspection of applications and port and protocol identification.
On the management side, Fireware XTM will offer three management interfaces: command line, a Web-based GUI, and the WatchGuard System Manager console. (The WatchGuard System Manager offers centralized management of multiple appliances for configuring policies, publishing changes, software updates, and other management functions.) It will also include support for role-based access control.
Other new features, according to WatchGuard, will include:
- Support for appliance clustering;
- HTTP redirection for caching proxy servers;
- Multicast support over VPN tunnels;
- HTTP redirection;
- Support for assigning multiple VLANs on external interfaces;
- Support for keeping VPN tunnels alive when users roam and move between APs and 3G;
- Support for role-based access control; and
- New audit reports, customized reports, and additional filtering options.
Fireware XTM is expected to be available June 5 and will support WatchGuard e-Series Edge, Core, and Peak appliances. It will be free for current WatchGuard LiveSecurity customers. Further information can be found here.