Learning Tools | News
Kaltura Introduces Video App for Instructure's Canvas LMS
Open source video platform Kaltura has released a new video app for Instructure's Canvas learning management system. The Canvas Video App integrates Kaltura's video tools into the Canvas environment, allowing users to view, upload, publish and share videos directly from within the LMS.
- User-generated content tools: video upload, webcam capture, screen recording, video presentation (PowerPoint sync) and mobile device capture;
- Personal Media Library, which gives each student and instructor his own "My Media" page for uploading and managing content;
- Rich text editor integration: Users can use, upload or record rich media by simply clicking on the "Embed Kaltura Media" editor button;
- Video analytics: Instructors can access course-specific video analytic reports directly from the LMS, and learn which videos are most viewed, which users are most engaged and which users contributed the most content;
- Full mobile and device support;
- User access control and rights management: Administrators can control access per video file, geographic location, domain and the IP address range from which the video can be viewed;
- Accessibility: Player is ADA/508 compliant by default;
- Captions: Users can upload multilingual captions and perform in-video search within the captions; and
- Comments functionality for videos.
Kaltura's Canvas Video App is built based on the Kaltura Application Framework, which allows for the insertion of video workflows into various third-party applications. The Kaltura Application Framework is hosted on the Kaltura cloud, which means new features and developments are automatically available without the need to upgrade the integration.
For more information, head to the Kaltura site.
About the author: Rhea Kelly is executive editor for Campus Technology. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.