JoVE Debuts Online Tool for Video STEM Quizzes
JoVE has unveiled JoVE Quiz, an online tool designed to be used in conjunction with the company's JoVE Science Education (JoVE SE) video database.
JoVE SE provides "videos demonstrating core laboratory techniques in molecular biology, genetics, neuroscience and other areas of biological and physical sciences," according to a news release. "JoVE Quiz gives science instructors an easy, flexible online instrument for evaluating student outcomes following the use of JoVE SE."
JoVE Quiz uses questions and associated images to assess student comprehension and retention of topics covered by JoVE SE videos. The new tool allows instructors to:
- Use provided questions or create their own;
- Get student responses automatically compiled and tabulated;
- Use and customize video images to match the difficulty of the question;
- Use quizzes and tests across multiple cohorts and classes; and
- Allow students to take tests open book by watching appropriate videos alongside the quiz.
"JoVE Quiz is very easy to use and offers great functionality," said Leonard Khiroug, principal investigator and head of the In Vivo Microscopy Unit at the Neuroscience Center of the University of Helsinki, Finland. Not only does JoVE Quiz make lectures more engaging and enhance student understanding of lab techniques, it's also a handy study guide for exams."
More information about JoVE SE is available at jove.com.
Joshua Bolkan is contributing editor for Campus Technology, THE Journal and STEAM Universe. He can be reached at email@example.com.