Pearson Launches Blended ELA Program
Pearson Education has introduced myPerspectives English Language Arts, a new blended print and digital curriculum for grades 6-12 English language arts.
program is designed to promote next-generation learning experiences and
college and career readiness, according to a news release from the
company. Students read a wide variety of fiction and nonfiction texts,
from classic to contemporary literature to media, and engage in
individual and collaborative learning activities. The curriculum is designed to
encourage students to integrate their knowledge, apply critical
thinking skills, cite evidence and communicate effectively.
live in a world that is globally interconnected and competitive," said
Leigh Ann Garcia, vice president of Pearson K-12 Literacy, in a news
release. "Employers are looking for the qualities and characteristics
of individuals who are not only knowledgeable but also versatile — they
can collaborate with others, communicate effectively, take initiative,
solve problems and bring to the table their own perspectives, while at
the same time, respect and build on others' ideas in order to make
valuable contributions to the organization."
Key features of myPerspectives English Language Arts include:
- Five or six topic-based units per grade, with each unit driven by an essential question;
unit structure incorporating whole class, small group and independent
learning and culminating in a performance-based assessment;
- Multi-genre classic and contemporary reading assignments that span time periods and cultures;
- Incorporation of close reading strategies, an evidence log for note taking, vocabulary network strategies and performance tasks;
- Activities designed to inspire thoughtful conversation, discussion and debate;
- Focus on idea-sharing and collaborative projects; and
- Design based on standards-based learning outcomes.
More information about myPerspectives English Language Arts can be found on Pearson Education's site.
Leila Meyer is a technology writer based in British Columbia. She can be reached at [email protected].