Smithsonian Science for the Classroom Brings Engineering Modules to Elementary Grades
The Smithsonian Science Education Center has partnered with science curriculum developer Carolina Biological Supply Co. to launch new NGSS-aligned engineering modules in Smithsonian Science for the Classroom. The program is targeted toward grades 1 through 5.
Smithsonian Science for the Classroom is a print and digital resource that includes a teacher guide, student literacy materials and a hands-on learning kit for up to 32 students. Five separate engineering-focused titles will be available, one for each grade level. The titles for grades 1 and 2 are out now; the rest will be rolling out through the spring, with additional titles coving other STEM subjects coming through fall 2019. Engineering titles include:
- Grade 1: How Can We Send a Message Using Sound?
- Grade 2: How Can We Stop Soil from Washing Away?
- Grade 3: How Can We Protect Animals When their Habitat Changes?
- Grade 4: How Can We Provide Energy to People's Homes?
- Grade 5: How Can We Provide Fresh Water to Those in Need?
Titles start at $899.95 for one grade level, with refurbished sets starting at $249. Further details can be found at carolina.com/smithsonians-science-program/.