Sally Ride Science Launches Academic Advisory Board
Sally Ride Science, a provider of science-oriented educational tools, has launched a new academic advisory board consisting of science educators and education specialists. The group, according to SRS, "will provide guidance in the areas of product development and services and offer a first-hand perspective into emerging science education needs for K-12 schools and districts."
Sally Ride Science is a science education company founded by former astronaut Sally Ride that provides classroom instructional materials aimed at bolstering student interest in science and providing educators with strategies to integrate the materials into classroom instruction. The company also focuses on STEM equity, in particular encouraging young girls to pursue careers in science.
The new advisory board includes:
- Jane Gallucci, former president of the National School Boards Association and the Florida School Boards Association;
- Paula Levin, a senior lecturer at the University of California, San Diego;
- Franklin C. Owens, associate executive director of programs for the National Science Teachers Association;
- Dwight Sieggreen, science teacher and former president of the National Association of Presidential Awardees for Excellence in Science Teaching, National Middle Level Science Teachers Association, and Michigan Science Teachers Association;
- Entrepreneur Bill Tudor; and
- Jo Anne Vasquez, director of professional development, policy, and outreach for the Center for Research on Education in Science, Mathematics, Engineering and Technology (CRESMET) at Arizona State University (also former president of the National Science Teachers Association and the National Science Education Leadership Association).
This group will, according to Sally Ride Science, "provide the company with ongoing advice regarding newly launched school products, as well as future products and services designed for the K-12 school market. It will also serve as a platform for ongoing communication with K-12 and higher education experts."
READ MORE DAILY NEWS
About the author: David Nagel is the executive editor for 1105 Media's online education technology publications, including THE Journal and Campus Technology. He can be reached at [email protected]
Proposals for articles and tips for news stories, as well as questions and comments about this publication, should be submitted to David Nagel, executive editor, at [email protected].