LMS | News
Desire2Learn Update Boosts Streaming Media Support, Integrates Google Apps
Desire2Learn has unveiled a new release to its learning management platform, offering enhancements to streaming media delivery and new integration features supporting Google Apps for Education.
The Desire2Learn Learning Suite provides the tools necessary to create, launch, and expand online programs. It includes Desire2Learn Learning Environment, an e-learning platform that allows for the development of courses and learning activities and assessment and evaluation of students. Desire2Learn ePortfolio provides students with a platform from which to display their grades and schoolwork. It also allows students to import or export portfolio items. Desire2Learn Learning Repository lets users create, search, store, and tag learning objects. It aggregates materials from multiple sources into one search. In addition, the Desire2Learn Mobile Web platform lets users access their media, course materials, calendars, news, bookmarks, and grades via Blackberry, Android, iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad devices. Desire2Learn Analytics generates reports that show patterns in results for students and faculty, and Desire2Learn Capture streams audio and video presentations.
Learning Suite 9.4.1 allows teachers and students to use synchronized streaming audio and video recordings, which are integrated with Desire2Learn Learning Environment and Desire2Learn ePortfolio. Via Desire2Learn Capture, they can be broadcast to online audiences on demand or live. Participants can search copy in visual aids, and use a chat tool to discuss the topic at hand with other members of the class.
Desire2Learn has also added integration of Google Apps for Education, including Google Docs, calendar, and e-mail. It can be accessed through a widget found in the Desire2Learn Learning Environment. Users can submit files via Google Docs to the Desire2Learn Dropbox, which can be opened with Microsoft Office Suite software programs.
Other new features include:
- Ability to record video and embed or attach media in Desire2Learn ePortfolio, including assignment submissions, news, and discussions;
- A tool to search Kaltura rich media;
- An enhanced Data Purge tool, which lets administrators select and delete specific data in the learning management system;
- An improved calendar, which allows instructors to announce due dates, manage activities, and schedule courses;
- Support for LaTeX, Graphic, MathML, and MathJax;
- Functionality for users of Desire2Learn Learning Repository to see media before download; and
- Support for a variety of Open REST-based APIs in Desire2Learn Learning Environment and Desire2Learn ePortfolio, increasing integration options.
Desire2Learn Learning Suite 9.4.1 is available now.
For more information, visit the Desire2Learn Web site.
Tim Sohn is a 10-year veteran of the news business, having served in capacities from reporter to editor-in-chief of a variety of publications including Web sites, daily and weekly newspapers, consumer and trade magazines, and wire services. He can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @editortim.