Walden U Launches Competency-Based Master's Program in Early Childhood Ed
Walden University has unveiled a new initiative designed to allow students to earn degrees online at their own pace.
Dubbed Tempo Learning, the first program of the initiative will be a competency-based M.S. in Early Childhood Studies with a specialization in Administration, Management and Leadership.
"Through Tempo Learning at Walden, students can progress at their own pace by applying their existing knowledge and prior experience while focusing on the skills they need to meet the demands of the workforce," according to a news release. "Tempo Learning is composed of competencies and rigorous assessments that have been designed by faculty and validated by employers — creating a direct link between education and the workplace."
Features of the new initiative include:
- The ability to speed up degree completion and reduce tuition costs by allowing students to learn as much as they want in the span of three month subscriptions;
- The opportunity to use experience and prior learning to quickly pass assessments and move on to new material;
- The ability to master skills aligned to employer needs;
- Raise My Hand, a mobile tool that lets students request help from faculty or classmates; and
- Plan/Map/Track, a mobile tool that shows students their progress, next steps, and the fastest track to degree completion.
"For 45 years, Walden has been committed to effecting positive social change and enabling working professionals to continue their employment while they earn their degree," said Jonathan A. Kaplan, interim president of Walden, in a prepared statement. "By offering Tempo Learning, we are providing our students with the opportunity to accelerate their application of skills and knowledge to help their organizations and communities thrive."
More information about Tempo Learning is available at waldenu.edu.
Joshua Bolkan is contributing editor for Campus Technology, THE Journal and STEAM Universe. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.