Google Adds Security Features to G Suite for Education, Launches Enterprise EDU Edition
Google today took the wraps off new security features for its education productivity suite, G Suite for Education, which includes Google Classroom, Docs, Sheets, Slides and a range of other tools. The new features come at no extra charge for education users. (G Suite for Education is free.) The company also launched G Suite Enterprise for Education.
The new security features include:
- Security key management and enforcement, requiring a physical key for user accounts and data;
- Data loss prevention for Drive and Gmail; and
- Hosted Gmail S/MIME, which allows schools to "digitally sign and encrypt e-mails."
G Suite Enterprise for Education was also announced today. It offers functionality similar to that of G Suite Enterprise for Business, but with a focus on large educational institutions, including colleges and universities and K–12 school districts.
Some of those stand-out features of the Enterprise edition include:
- Security analytics and other security-related tools;
- Device management for BYOD environments;
- Support for up to 50 participants in Hangouts;
- The ability to record meetings and save them to Google Drive, plus the ability to dial into meetings; and
- BigQuery for Gmail logs.
Further details can be found on Google's G Suite for Education portal.