Virtualization | News
V-locity 3 Adds Full Integration with VMware ESXi and Improved Resource Optimization
Diskeeper has announced the latest version of its virtual platform disk optimizer for VMware, V-locity 3, which provides invisible background optimization on virtual servers to improve their input and output performance.
V-locity 3 consists of two core components: V-locity 3 Guest, which installs on all Windows virtual machines, and V-locity 3 Host Agent, which installs on any Windows virtual machine over VMware ESX or ESXi, or directly on Microsoft Hyper-V. This version of V-locity adds full integration with VMware ESXi virtualization hypervisor to its existing support for VMware ESX and Microsoft Hyper-V.
Key features in V-locity 3 include:
- V-Aware, which detects when other virtual machines on the virtual platform are using external resources on the same host server and eliminates competition for those resources;
- CogniSAN, which detects when other virtual machines on the virtual platform are using external resources within a shared storage system, such as a SAN, and eliminates competition for those resources without intruding upon SAN-layer operations;
- Automatic Space Reclamation engine, which replaces unused data blocks with zeros on virtual disks to simplify virtual disk compaction, and which allows VMware VMotion or Microsoft Live Migration to compact a disk on the fly when migrating them to virtual disks;
- Special Virtual Disk Auto-Detection, which enables each V-locity Guest to conform its optimization settings to the type of virtual disk and features the virtual machine is using, such as dynamic or thin disks and linked clones;
- IntelliWrite, which helps prevent data fragmentation;
- Instant Defrag, which eliminates data fragmentation that was not prevented;
- Real-time Free Space Consolidation, which optimizes large blocks of free disk space; and
- Set It and Forget It automatic and real-time operation.
Further information about V-locity can be found at diskeeper.com.
Leila Meyer is a technology writer based in British Columbia. She can be reached at email@example.com.