Desktops | News
Ace Computers Launches Micro Desktop Computers for Schools
Ace Computers has launched a new micro desktop computer, the Vision Pico NUC, designed to help schools save classroom space, reduce technology theft, and save money.
The basic Vision Pico NUC system is a palm-sized device (4.6 by 4.4 by 1.5 inches) with a motherboard, processor, and case, and it consumes less than 50 watts of power. Its small size makes it highly portable. If portability isn't required, it can be bolted in place, even underneath a desk to save more space. According to the company, the unit is rugged and hard to damage because of its tough case and quality components.
The Vision Pico is based on Intel's Next Unit of Computing (NUC) technology, which features an Intel Core i3 processor and uses the full Intel HD 4000 graphics processing unit (GPU).
The basic unit does not include memory, storage, operating system, or peripherals, so those components can be customized to suit the needs of the school. The unit also does not have any analog audio connectors, but audio output can be routed through an HDMI port.
According to Ace Computers, typical Vision Pico NUC specifications include:
- An Intel Core i3-3217U (soldered down) processor;
- Intel QS77 Express chipset;
- Two dual channel, 1066/1333 MHz, DDR3 SODIMMs (16 GB maximum);
- Dual HDMI graphics;
- Two PCIe mini slots (1 half-length and 1 full-length);
- Two internal USB 2.0 via 2x5 header;
- Three external USB 2.0 connectors (two on back panel, one on front panel); and
- Intel 10/100/1000 Ethernet connectivity.
Additional options include:
- Windows 7 or Windows 8;
- Wireless connectivity with mini-PCIe card;
- Bluetooth connectivity with mini-PCIe card;
- Mobile SATA (SSD) card with full-length mini-PCIe card;
- Compatibility with Linux (Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE); and
- 19 volt DC power input (external power supply).
Further information about the Visio Pico NUC is available at acecomputers.com.
Leila Meyer is a technology writer based in British Columbia. She can be reached at [email protected].