With no immediate return to normalcy in sight as vaccines are slowly rolled out, teachers’ stress level appears to be rising. So is their feeling that others—from administrators to the general public—aren’t taking their concerns to heart, beyond lip service about how valued teachers are.
The permutations of K-12 instruction being delivered are many right now, and so are the choices families are making for the education of their students. By mid-March 2021 more than three-quarters of fourth- and eighth-grade students (76%) were being offered the chance to attend public schools open at least some of the time for face-to-face lessons. But just a fraction of those students attended in-person instruction. The remaining 24% of grade 4 and grade 8 students were in schools that were only online.
A new survey has found that a one in three high schoolers (33%) would like to keep online learning as an ingredient in their education. The remaining 67% – almost all of whom shifted to virtual education to some degree amid the pandemic – prefer learning completely in-person, while 29 percent favored a hybrid arrangement with up to half of their time in a virtual learning environment. Four percent said they would be happy learning virtually full time or much of the time.
Identity and belonging, the truth about vaping and the potential of nuclear science are the topics of three free "virtual" fieldtrips that have been introduced by Discovery Education working with various partners.
New York state has launched an emergency fund to provide an estimated 50,000 students with free internet access.
Audiovisual technology manufacturer Aver Information USA has launched a new camera for education that uses AI to “seamlessly track” teachers as they move around the classroom. The camera was designed with K–12 remote learning environments in mind.
Two-thirds of people in the education sector expect to see a continuation of remote work post-pandemic. Sixty-five percent of respondents in education agreed that due to the success of remote collaboration, facilitated by videoconferencing, their organizations are considering a flexible remote working model, according to a survey from Zoom.
A big part of the "learning loss" being identified for K-12 students is due to family income. They can't afford the technology required for continuous access to classes, teachers and study resources.
Apple today launched Apple Teacher Portfolio, a new recognition badge available through Apple Teacher Learning Center. The company also updated its Schoolwork and Classroom apps, as well as its Everyone Can Create curriculum.
Overall, students felt more positive about online learning in the fall than they did in the spring, according to a recent report.
The modern workforce is rapidly becoming more mobile and hyperconnected, and attackers are taking note. Exploiting multiplying devices and login-fatigued employees has become a valuable currency for threat actors, so organizations need a strong access management solution in place to ensure that only trusted users and devices have access to their networks, applications, and data.