Associations | News
SIIA Names 2012 Education Division Directors
The Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA) Education Division has selected its board of directors for 2012.
The association, based in Washington, DC, serves as an advocate for the software and digital content industry overall, and the division represents 180-plus member educational technology companies. SIIA provides a variety of services covering intellectual property, government relations, corporate education, and business development. It also hosts events throughout the year, including the Ed Tech Government Forum coming up in March.
The new board of directors will help guide the future vision of the Education Division and decide what projects and industry events are worthy of undertaking this year.
"These new board members represent a diverse mix of corporate interests, allowing SIIA to truly delve deep into the education technology industry," said Karen Billings, SIIA Education Division vice president. "I am looking forward to working with these individuals to advance the industry's common concerns."
Eight people have been elected to serve for two years, while five have been appointed to one-year terms.
Those elected to two-year terms are:
- Lisa Barnett, chief operating officer, Atomic Learning;
- John Bower, founder and chief executive officer, uBoost;
- Adam Hall, president, SkillsTutor, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt;
- Robert Iskander, chief executive officer and founder, EduTone;
- Vineet Madan, senior vice president, new ventures, and strategic services, McGraw-Hill Education;
- David Samuelson, executive vice president, director of games and augmented reality, Pearson;
- Jessie Woolley-Wilson, president and chief executive officer, DreamBox Learning; and
- Johann Zimmern, marketing manager, worldwide K-12 education, Adobe Systems.
Those appointed to one-year terms are:
- George Cigale, founder and chief executive officer, tutor.com;
- Beau Clark, senior director, e-learning, The College Board;
- Jeffrey Mathews, vice president of corporate strategy, business development and investor relations, Scholastic;
- Jeff Shelstad, founder and chief executive officer, Flat World Knowledge; and
- Thomas Squeo, chief information officer, Measured Progress.
In addition, there are several board members who are serving the second year of their terms in 2012: Frank Catalano, principal, Intrinsic Strategy; Diana Gowen, alliance manager, education programs, Intel; Mimi Jett, vice president, business development, Avant Assessment; Farimah Schuerman, managing partner, Academic Business Advisors; Steve Siegel, vice president, strategic planning and partnerships, Follett Software Co.; Deborah Joy Smith, consultant, DSJ Consulting; Iwan Streichenberger, president, LRS & Assessment Division, Promethean; and Bruce Wilcox, director, education technology, Carolina Science Online.
For more information, visit the SIIA Education Division Web site.
Tim Sohn is a 10-year veteran of the news business, having served in capacities from reporter to editor-in-chief of a variety of publications including Web sites, daily and weekly newspapers, consumer and trade magazines, and wire services. He can be reached at email@example.com and followed on Twitter @editortim.