Elluminate Releases Live! V8
Education technology developer Elluminate has released Elluminate Live! V8, an update to the company's flagship e-learning, conferencing, and online collaboration tool. The new version adds a variety of functional enhancements and is available now. The company's vRoom, a free conferencing tool based on Elluminate Live!, is also being updated to incorporate some of the functionality of Live! V8.
Elluminate Live! is a Web conferencing tool designed for use in education, providing integration with Blackboard, Moodle, Sakai, WebCT, and eCollege learning management systems. Some of the new features in V8 include:
- Synchronized notes, which allow users to take notes in a separate window, store them on a local drive, and share them with other users;
- Interactive two-way video, which provides resolutions from 160 x 120 to 640 x 480 and allows users to take snapshots of video feeds and paste them onto the whiteboard area of the Live! interface;
- Automatic indexing of archived sessions (in addition to manual indexing) with search capabilities;
- New tools for learning and teaching, including timers, pop-up announcements, and automatic sorting of participants by raised hands; and
- The ability to publish clickable URLs from Web tours to chat and whiteboards, including the ability for moderators to switch sessions to full-screen Presentation Mode.
Elluminate also told us that its vRoom conferencing tool is also being upgraded to incorporate some of the features of Live! V8. Elluminate vRoom is a collaboration tool supporting up to three simultaneous users, including the moderator. It incorporates "most" of the technology of Elluminate Live!, according to the company, but is available for use free of charge. vRoom is essentially a virtual office, providing features like video and audio conferencing, instant messaging, application and desktop sharing, and interactive whiteboard capabilities.
Elluminate Live! V8 is platform-independent and is available now, with pricing based on a concurrent seat model. (Elluminate vRoom is free.)
READ MORE DAILY NEWS
About the author: David Nagel is the executive editor for 1105 Media's online education technology publications, including THE Journal and Campus Technology. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Proposals for articles and tips for news stories, as well as questions and comments about this publication, should be submitted to David Nagel, executive editor, at email@example.com.