Development | News
Oracle Updates Free Database Development Tool
Oracle has released the latest version of its free graphical database development tool, Oracle SQL Developer 3.0. SQL Developer 3.0 connects to any Oracle Database version 11g, 10g, or 9i (release 220.127.116.11 and later). It can also connect to third-party databases for the purposes of viewing metadata and data only. It enables developers to browse database objects, run SQL statements and scripts, edit and debug PL/SQL statements, and run custom or pre-defined reports.
This version is designed to simplify database migration and improve development and database administration tasks with new Query Builder, DBA Navigator, and Schedule Builder tools. It also introduces an Oracle Data Miner extension and support for Oracle Spatial. Oracle Data Miner identifies patterns to provide deeper insight to database analysis. Oracle Spatial enhances geospatial data to meet the needs of advanced geographic information system (GIS) applications.
New features of Oracle SQL Developer 3.0 include:
- Command-line scriptable migrations to enable automation of large enterprise migrations;
- Source code scanning for Sybase ctlib/dblib APIs;
- Database Navigator for browsing; updating database configuration and storage files; and updating security for profiles, roles, and users;
- Graphical DBMS (database management system) Scheduler for creating, managing, and planning programs, schedules, and jobs;
- SQL Tuning Advisor to analyze high-volume SQL statements and provide recommendations;
- Explain Plan Diff to compare queries and review Explain Plans side-by-side;
- Drag-and-drop Query Builder interface;
- Oracle Data Miner workflow-based graphical user interface for analyzing data;
- Spatial data management feature, Oracle Spatial, for visualizing geospatial data in a map view;
- Upgraded migration workbench to simplify migration to Oracle Database 11g; and
- SQL Developer Data Modeler 3.0 to open, view, and update designs and query, run, and write reports against the reporting repository.
Oracle SQL Developer 3.0 for Windows, Mac, or Linux is available for download here.
|Editor's note: This article has been modified since its original publication to correct a factual error. As one reader pointed out, we incorrectly started that SQL Developer 3.0 worked only with Oracle 11g or later. The correct information, as now reflected in the text of the article, is: "SQL Developer 3.0 connects to any Oracle Database version 11g, 10g, or 9i (release 18.104.22.168 and later). It can also connect to third-party databases for the purposes of viewing metadata and data only." [Last updated April 22, 2011 at 4:07 p.m.] --David Nagel |
Leila Meyer is a technology writer based in British Columbia. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.