Desktop Virtualization | News
Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac Enterprise Edition Adds Policy Enforcement
Parallels has released Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac Enterprise Edition. Parallels Desktop enables Mac users to create a Windows virtual machine on an Apple OS X device, so they can run both Windows and Mac applications at the same time, without rebooting.
Enterprise Edition includes features to help IT administrators set up and manage Parallels client software and virtual machines in organizations with large numbers of Mac users who also need to use Windows applications to complete their work. Enterprise features include mass-configuration capabilities, a software update policy for enforcing corporate change management policies, and an optional local update server. The Parallels Desktop Mass Deployment Application helps IT administrators to deploy and manage the Parallels client software and virtual machines using standard Mac software distribution and management tools.
New features in Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac Enterprise Edition include:
- More Mac-like user interface in the Windows virtual machine, including support for Apple gestures, Apple Remote, and OS X keyboard shortcuts in Windows applications;
- Improved logic between Windows and Mac to make setup and management of Windows virtual machines more efficient;
- True Windows 7 icon behavior, including support for Jump Lists, progress indicators, and duplicate app icon grouping;
- Ability to search for Windows programs with Spotlight;
- New and improved support for import of Boot Camp, Virtual Box, VMware, and Virtual PC virtual machines;
- New Parallels Mobile App to access the virtual machine from an iPhone or iPad;
- Intel AES-NI encryption of Windows programs;
- Application of Mac OS parental controls and access controls to Windows programs;
- Ability to create 32- and 64-bit virtual machines with up to 8 CPUs and 2 TB of virtual RAM;
- Faster 3D graphics in Coherence, Full Screen, and Window modes;
- Support for DirectX 9, OpenGL, and Xorg; and
- Support for Surround Sound 5.1 in Windows 7, Vista, and XP.
Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac Enterprise Edition is available now as an annual subscription service. For more information, visit the Parallels site.
About the Author
Leila Meyer is a technology writer based in British Columbia. She can be reached at [email protected].