Books | News
FollettShelf Adds HTML5 Reading Environment District Management Tools
Follett has updated its FollettShelf digital bookshelf with a new HTML5 reading environment and other features.
Follett Enlight, as the HTML5 environment has been dubbed, is designed to build "critical thinking skills through reading, studying, and note taking," according to information on the company's Web site, and is available via browser with iOS and Android versions on the way.
Other features of Enlight include:
- A consistent reading environment across multiple devices;
- A multi-level dictionary for grade-appropriate definitions;
- No Flash requirement;
- A notebook to help students stay organized;
- Availability of notes offline; and
- Reflowable text.
Also new to this version of FollettShelf are FollettShelf Classroom Connections and FollettShelf District Manager.
Classroom Connections provides instructional tools and allows teachers to interact with students through Follett's digital material. Features include the ability to send notes to student e-books, differentiate instruction, sequence a series of books, view time-on-task reports, and a parent link, among others.
District Manager is designed to provide "consistent, centralized management and distribution of Follett e-content in every campus across the district," according to information on the company's Web site. Highlights include:
- The ability to share policies and circulation and patron types across the entire district;
- District-wide reporting with centralized inventory management, tools to identify schools experiencing challenges with e-book usage, and data on district-level title usage; and
- SIP2/LDAP authentication.
More information is available at aboutfollettbooks.com.
Joshua Bolkan is contributing editor for Campus Technology, THE Journal and STEAM Universe. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.