Adobe Ships Creative Suite 2.3
11.09.2006—Following the rollout of Acrobat Pro 8, Adobe has released a new version of its Creative Suite software package. The new version adds in the latest release of Acrobat Pro and bundles Dreamweaver 8, a Web design and development tool. The new Creative Suite is available now for Mac OS X and Windows.
The principal changes to the new Creative Suite are the additions of Acrobat Professional 8 and Dreamweaver 8. Acrobat Pro was released last week—the first Universal Binary release of a Creative Suite application, adding in native compatibility with Intel-based Macs. But it also offered a variety of new integration features with the suite, as well as functional and UI enhancements.
Some of the changes to Acrobat include:
- New integration features for Creative Suite 2.3: These include synchronized color settings, consistent transparency flattener presets, XMP metadata editing and viewing and support Version Cue CS2.
- Combining files: Acrobat 8 Pro allows users to combine PDFs, images, Web pages and presentation files into PDF packages.
- Shared reviews: Users can view comments from all reviewers of a document by publishing and retrieving these comments from a server.
- Acrobat Connect: The new version also adds one-button access to a new Adobe feature called Acrobat Connect. This is a conferencing technology that lets users create meeting rooms for collaborating on projects. At present, Adobe Connect is being offered as a free trial. The commercial release should begin by early 2007.
- Enhanced preflight controls: Acrobat 8 Pro also adds new preflight capabilities, along with the ability to fix problems automatically. It can validate and convert documents to conform to PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3, PDF/X-4 and PDF/A. (PDF/X-4 is a draft specification that is expected to be ratified early next year.)
- JDF enhancements: Files can be validated against JDF intent.
- New print features: Artwork can be positioned and cropped on the page. It also adds watermarking capabilities and the ability to set up booklets using imposition tools.
The Dreamweaver 8 that's shipping with Creative Suite 2.3 does not include any upgrades.
Adobe Creative Suite 2.3 is available now for Mac OS X and Windows in English, French, German, and Japanese. The full version runs $1,199. Upgrades cost $159 from Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium and $549 from Creative Suite 1.x Premium and Standard.
:: READ MORE DAILY NEWS ::
About the author: Dave Nagel is the executive editor for 1105 Media's educational technology online publications and electronic newsletters. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Have any additional questions? Want to share your story? Want to pass along a news tip? Contact Dave Nagel, executive editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.